What is the TDI Intro to Cave course?
The Introductory cave diver course is the second level of Overhead Environments training after the Cavern Diver course and must be completed before enrolling in the TDI Full Cave Diver course. The objective of this course is to enhance the skills learnt in the Cavern Diver course and to learn the new skills and techniques which are fundamental for basic cave diving. This course is for the certified TDI Cavern Diver or equivalent who has interest in moving forward into overhead environment diving and expanding their diving techniques, capabilities, and more.
Why is Divers UnderGround the best Dive Center to take your TDI Intro to Cave course in Mexico?
At Divers UnderGround©. we believe in providing students with the best tools and knowledge to help them advance safely into overhead diving. Our experience helps divers understand the necessity of following proper cave diving protocols and the risks involved in becoming complacent in this type of environment. We are constantly diving in new and more complex caves as well as involved in various exploration and cave surveying projects.
Course Structure and Duration:
1. Six single guideline cave dives conducted at 2 different sites and 6 different caves
1. Course must be taught over 4 days
2. If combined with a cavern diver course, a minimum of 5 days and 8 dives
What are the advantages of becoming a TDI Intro to Cave diver?
Upon successful completion of this course, divers can safely execute single guideline cave diving activities without the direct supervision of an instructor provided they stay within the following limits:
- Diving activities approximate those of training
- Plan dives not to exceed current level of training
- Penetration is limited to 1/6th of available gas volume when using redundant air sources
- Maximum depth of 40 metres/130 feet
- Use proper cave diving equipment
- Maintain a continuous guideline
Upon successful completion of this course, divers are qualified to continue on to the next level of training: the TDI Full Cave Diver course.
Student Diver Prerequisites:
1. Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
2. Provide proof of certification as a TDI Cavern Diver or equivalent
Some of the skills you will learn include:
• Properly deploy a guideline
• Proper use of line markers
• Guideline following with eyes open and closed (simulating loss of visibility)
• Air share with a buddy with eyes open, following a guideline
• Gas sharing with a buddy with lights off and eyes closed, using touch contact comunication while following the guideline
• Remove and replace mask while in contact with the guideline
• Conservation, awareness, and back referencing techniques
• Light/hand signals and touch contact comunication
• Proper anti-silting techniques
• How to deal with a primary light failure and use back up light to exit
• Perfect buoyancy control, proper trim, and propulsion techniques
TDI Intro to Cave Diver Minimum Certification Requirements:
• Satisfactorily complete the TDI Intro to Cave Diver course written examination with a passing score of 80%, followed by 100% remediation by the instructor
• Perform all land drills and cave dive requirements efficiently
• Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
• Maintain an appropriate level of awareness and respect for the environment
• Log all training dives